Our firm was founded in 1928, by Ike Lackey and Stocky Sanford and was named Lackey and Sanford Funeral Home, which was located on West Street in Covington, Georgia. In the 1940's, the funeral home's founders split and became the Sanford and Young Funeral Home and the Lackey Funeral Home.
Lackey Funeral Home was operated by two brothers, Ike and Flem Lackey on West Street. In 1948, Wavey Lackey the son of Ike Lackey was hired to run the family business and it was later moved to Thelma Lane in Covington. Wavey Lackey then moved the business to Washington Street in the late 1950's. In 1969, Wavey Lackey passed away and his wife, Thelma Lane Lackey operated it until she could no longer manage it. In the 1970's she sold the business to Lester Lackey Sr. and Horace Johnson, Sr. Sometime thereafter, Horace Johnson, Sr. sold his share to Lester Lackey Sr. In the 1970's Lester Lackey Sr. acquired the property known as 1163 Reynolds Street Covington, Georgia from Lenora Allen and relocated the business to its present location 1163 Reynolds Street in Covington where his two sons Lester Lackey Jr and Vernon Ike Lackey worked with him. In 1995, Lester Lackey Sr. passed and left the business to his sons. Years later, Vernon Ike Lackey sold his share of the business to Lester Lackey Jr., who operates the business today, but still remains a part of the family's business. The business is presently owned and operated by Lester Lackey Jr., licensed funeral director and embalmer and his children, Lester Demond Lackey and La'Quoya Lackey. We have and will always remember our founding forefathers and former deceased employees, Ike and Flem Lackey, Wavey Lackey, Thelma Lackey, Horace Johnson, Sr., Lester Lackey Sr.; employees, Earnest Gilstrap, Sr., Robert Shepherd, Sr., Bud Russell, Raves Freeman Sr., Cleo Manuel, Joe Terrell, Larcellous Williams, Ernest Freeman Sr., Bobby Terrell, Sr. Willie Maxey and James Smith.